Pages

Mt Royal Cougars

Monday, July 6, 2015

As we enter 2015 - we also welcome the new team captain.


GLENNA BURROWS will become the 2nd team captain in Cougars CIS history and lead the Women's Soccer program into the 2015 season.    

With the graduation of our first ever CIS team captain, Kristin Deeks...the natural progression was to look into the squad and see who could take over and continue the direction this program is moving. 

What shoes to fill...but we believe we got this right and are excited to see what this team is capable under the leadership of our new captain.  

For me as head coach, the team captain of this program had to be someone the other players respected.  I wasn't looking looking for the loudest or the most talented/popular - I was looking for a person who has been at Mount Royal University from the beginning - someone who choose the school she wanted to attend because of the academics and sport she enjoys.  I wanted a player who has been through our difficult times, felt our growing pains and has earned her opportunities through hard work and dedication to the program.  

We have encouraged all the players in our program, whether 1st or 5th years, to showcase their leadership abilities inside the game and in the community.  Glenna's main responsibility will be working with the coaching staff to ensure staff and players are moving in one direction together.  

Congratulations Glenna; you will be part of program history and we look forward to seeing how you can bring along your other 25 teammates to achieve greatness in 2015.  

Your leadership style will be unique however we feel it will be very powerful. 

"Raise your words, not your voice.  It is the rain that grows flowers, not thunder." - Rumi






Glenna Burrows - On what being a Cougar means to her:

Being a Cougar for the last three years has been an incredible experience.  To me, being a Cougar gives me the biggest sense of pride and community, as I am able to represent not only my hometown, but also a fantastic school.  Entering into the CIS in my first year was a struggle, but seeing the team and the program grow to where it is now is amazing. I couldn’t be more grateful to be apart of the growth of the women’s soccer program as it has come so far, exceeding my expectation every year. Since entering the CIS we have fought our way up the charts, no longer being seen as the newbies but instead as competition. My expectations for this coming season are high, and I think that our commitment and drive will help us land a spot in the playoffs. Being named captain for the 2015 season is the biggest honor and achievement in my soccer career thus far.  I couldn’t ask for better teammates and coach to share this experience with.  I am very excited and ready to take on the role of being captain!